IELTS Pretesting Information (General Training GT) only
The next pretest will be July 14 2018. Sign up at the pretest website (only active when signup is open)
An IELTS Pretest is an opportunity to take an IELTS practice test under exam conditions at our test centre. You will receive unofficial scores within 1 week and have a chance to check your readiness for the real IELTS test, familiarize yourself with IELTS test questions and test day procedures. Get to know your centre’s location and staff, and receive valuable advice in preparing for a real IELTS test.
Have a question about IELTS Pretesting?
Please check our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below. If your question is not answered, please contact us.
- 01. Who can take a Pretest?
Anyone who is at least IELTS band 4 now.
It is not necessary to have done an IELTS test before, but you need to be capable of A2 (Elementary) English to take the pretest.
If you are not sure, you can take a quick quiz online.
- 02. How do I sign up?
- 03. How much does it cost?
-$20 for 3 tests (Listening, GT Reading, GT Writing)
-Please note pretest fees are non-refundable
- 04. Where is the Pretest?
- 05. What are the benefits?
-Practice under test conditions
-Find out what an IELTS test is like, and the types of questions that are asked
-Pretest scores can help you focus on weaknesses and choose a test date
-Practice your timekeeping skills
- 06. How long does the Pretest take?
- 07. When will I get the results?
- 08. How will I get the results?
- 09. What kind of results will I get?
- You will receive a raw score (the number of correct answers) for both Listening and Reading. You will not be given an IELTS Band Score, but the raw score will give you some idea of your ability in these skills. (Your teacher may be able to calculate an equivalent Band Score for your raw score, but this will be very approximate and cannot be used as an official IELTS result.)
- For the Writing pretest, you will receive a Band Score, but again this cannot be used as an official IELTS result.
- 10. Is this an official IELTS score?
- 11. Is this a full IELTS test?
- 12. Can I take just 1 or 2 tests, or do I need to do all 3?
- 13. What Pretests are available?
-Listening pretest (about 45 minutes)
-GT Reading pretest (1 hour 15 minutes)
-GT Writing pretest (1 hour)
*Speaking tests are not part of pretesting.
- 14. Can I take an Academic Pretest?
At this time, we are not offering Academic Pretests. Please note that the Listening is the same for Academic and General, and that, even if you are doing Academic, you may benefit from a General Training pretest.
- 15. Can I take a Pretest more than once?
- 16. How often is Pretesting available?
- 17. How similar are Pretests to real IELTS tests?
Pretests are very similar to real IELTS tests but differ in a few small ways:
-The Listening pretest has a few more more questions
-The Reading pretest has a few more questions, and is 15 minutes longer
-The answer sheets may look a little different
- 18. How similar is a Pretest to a real test day?
It is very similar to a real test day, but there are some things that are not done for a Pretest:
-No ID required
-No finger scan/photo capture
- 19. What do I need to bring?
- 20. What time should I arrive?
For more information, visit: ielts.ca